dog whistle recording


hi i'm nancy frensley, i'm the training managerat the berkeley east bay humane society in berkeley, california. and i've been askedhow to stop a dog from barking using a dog whistle. well i'll tell you, usually i usea dog whistle to teach my dogs to come. i use it by blowing and this is a silent whistlethat i keep on my key chain. blow it and give my dog a treat. ok. what does the whistledo? the whistle because it's a high pitched sound in this case it's not completely silentgets my dog's attention and that is all i really need to do to use it to keep my dogfrom barking. so if every time my dog stops barking, i go and then give my dog a treatfor turning towards me i have started the conditioning process of interrupting the barkingsequence at a certain point so that my dog


is quiet after that point. and after i haveinterrupted the behavior ,i then reward quiet behavior. my dog is quiet ,there it is. sothe whistle to teach, to work with the dog to stop a dog from barking is simply an interrupter.and frankly what i find easier to do is to just teach the word quiet and reward my dogfor being quiet. so if i'm out or somebody has come to the door i hear knocking and mydogs go whoo whoo, i'll say quiet give them a treat after that before long quiet meansoh come over to me. and your dog learns that they get rewarded for quiet behavior thatis not barking. barking is a very sort of amped up excited state of being. and onceyou blow the whistle and interrupt it. or say quiet and interrupt it your dog dropsthat amped up feeling and gets rewarded for


quiet behavior. now if you're going to usesomething like this to create quiet behavior you have to use it each and every time yourdog is likely to start barking. and that's where most of us people fall down on the job.

Comments

Popular Posts